Friday, September 5, 2014

Colonoscopy

Is It Time For Your Colonoscopy? 


So I took last week off from my blog because I needed to mentally prepare as well as physically prepare for my first ever colonoscopy. I wouldn’t say I am a hypochondriac but I would say I am a realist. I know anything can and will happen in life and you need to prepare. So many of you reading this are not yet in your 50’s which is the age that it is recommended that you get your first colonoscopy (I turned 52 this summer) but you more than likely have parents or grandparents and it  is important to have the discussion if you haven’t already.

Family History

Your family history is important, but so is your family. So if you don’t know if your family members that have reached their 50’s, have had their colonoscopy ask them. Colon cancer is curable if treated early. Plus, as I mentioned in Chapter 1 of TimerDiet it feels so good to get your annual exam and know everything is fine! I have to say for the last two years it has been on the back of my mind. My doctor of 25 years asked me when I turned 50 when I was going to have one. The last time I went in for my annual visit, I made a deal if there wasn’t anything abnormal in my stool sample I didn’t need to go—I passed, so I didn’t get one…but then this summer I got a postcard in the mail from Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Insurance Coverage

I received a post card from Blue Cross Blue Shield that changed my mind. I called about 5 times just to make sure I had everything right: an approved doctor, anesthesiologist, and hospital/treatment center. I asked a lot of questions (as you should, too!) and found out that if I had my colonoscopy before I had any symptoms the procedure did not go against my $7,500 deductible. Yeah! I called back, “Are you sure?” Yes, yes, yes…I think they were glad when I finally believed them. So far so good, the explanation of benefits for the hospital/treatment center came in today and Blue Cross Blue Shield paid all of it. If you wait until you have symptoms or something turns up during your annual exam, then you are not going to be so lucky. So check your insurance coverage and see if it is covered before you must have the procedure.

It Wasn’t Fun…but

I am not going to lie the whole ordeal was not fun, but it also wasn’t awful. Had I to do all over again, I would hydrate more a few days before the process begins, since I got a headache in the middle of the night. The headache was the worst part. Since it affected my ability to keep liquids down and made the morning of the procedure not so fun!  But, the procedure itself was easy peasy, and the prepping (other than the headache) was not as bad as I thought. Having said that, we are all grown-ups and from time to time we have to do things that are not so fun. So if it is time for you to do it—DO IT!! You will feel so good when it is over and you get the “ALL Clear” signal. If for some reason you don’t, more than likely you caught it early enough and the early treatment will have you doing well in no time!


Sherri Sue Fisher, author of TimerDiet and TimerOrganizer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments. I can't wait to read them! Sherri Sue Fisher