Saturday, July 12, 2014

Discipline vs. Willpower vs. Knowledge


Discipline vs. Willpower vs. Knowledge


I recently got into a discussion with a friend of mine who is also a doctor and the word discipline was used, or the lack of discipline, to describe why we have an epidemic of obesity on our hands today. Then another person said it was lack of willpower. But I personally think it is lack of knowledge.

Discipline Means…


When one is disciplined then one knows certain rules and agrees to obey those rules and risk punishment for not obeying the rules. Which makes sense that my doctor friend chose this particular word. Doctors have a ton of rules that they must live by or suffer severe consequences. So I get it…

Willpower Implies…


Willpower is control over ones impulses. In the usage during our conversation, the lack of willpower would mean that there is little control over ones actions. I think we have a lot of control over our own actions and we willingly do what we do, when we do it, for whatever reason we may or may not give ourselves.  

Knowledge is Key…


My first response during our discussion was, “don’t you think people would rather have steak and asparagus if they knew it would be good for them?” Most of our lives we have been told all the foods we ate back in the day (60s & 70s in my case) are bad for you—butter, cheese, red meat, alcohol (ok not until the late 70s for me), and so much more.
We hear to be sure to go for the low fat or reduced fat foods; as if dietary fat were making us fat? I wish there were more words in the English language so we could distinguish between the excess fat on our bodies with the dietary fat that is needed in our bodies.

TimerDiet is knowledge…


There is so much that we hear, read, and watch on TV about what to do or what not to do that it can become sensory overload and we just give up. But, I promise I can make it a whole lot easier if you just give me a chance. Look over the concepts of TimerDiet and see if it something you can get your head around and if so check it out and give it a try. I think you will see the lifestyle change does not require discipline or willpower, because I give you the knowledge you need to make wise choices for you!
Sherri Sue Fisher, author of TimerDiet and recently released TimerOrganizer










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments. I can't wait to read them! Sherri Sue Fisher