Friday, August 15, 2014

Food for Depression

Food for Depression


It is with great sadness that this is the topic of today’s blog. Most of us have been touched in some way or another by the passing of Robin Williams and specifically by his admission of his ongoing depression. On the outset of this blog by no means am I saying that depression can be cured by changing your diet. I am saying that your diet and exercise are important in light of the possibility that it can aggravate or affect your moods and should be your first defense in daily health and well-being.  

Always Seek Medical Advice

If you feel you are venturing into being depressed seek a doctor and don’t let them dismiss you. If you don’t feel you are being taken seriously, continue to seek help.  I myself was concerned many years ago when I spent two days in bed for no apparent reason. When I told the on-call doctor she told me, “Well, if you told me you spent two weeks then I would be concerned, but two days I am not concerned.” Personally I felt she was very dismissive and since she wasn’t my general doctor I decided to just leave and I went home and got on the internet and looked up everything I could including diet and made some changes that helped me.  If you feel a doctor is not taking you seriously seek out another doctor or consider a psychologist that specializes in the area of concern that you have. 

And of course if it is critical call the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255 or go to www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org 

What I Learned About Food and Drinks



Probably the most important thing I learned when I went online was that alcohol and caffeine create a cycle of ups and downs. While many people are able to have both alcohol and caffeine without this side effect creating a more severe cycle of ups and down, it is why we usually drink caffeine (to bring us up) and alcohol (to bring us down). But both can work in reverse and against each other. So if you are sensing that your moods are being affected by either of these it is best to stop for a while and assess the situation without either of them in your system. AGAIN ALWAYS SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE FIRST!

I also learned that foods play a major role in my moods, one food in particular that seems to make me feel better is pistachios. I don’t know if it is taking the time to crack them open or the protein and dietary fat or what, but pistachios have been known to create calmness. Eating foods that are found in nature are your best bet when changing your diet to affect your mood in a positive way. Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and legumes, and fishes high in Omega 3. Don’t forget to include some dairy into your daily diet and protein rich and dietary fat foods like eggs and beef. In other words eating basic foods will make you feel better than eating processed foods.

Sugar


If anyone has read my book, TimerDiet you know I am against all artificial, superficial sweeteners. Raw sugar is all I keep around for others to use in their tea and coffee. I keep white cane sugar around for baking and that is about it. If you think you are not affecting your blood sugar by using artificial sweeteners you may be mistaken. My brother-in-law just had a battery of blood tests and specific diagnosing for his blood sugar, they found that when he used artificial sweeteners (his sugar of choice) that his blood sugar went up significantly more than when he used regular sugar…I tried to tell him. But at least now he has scientific proof for him that artificial sweeteners are not ok for him.

Daily Exercise

Even a daily walk for 30 minutes can positively affect your mood. I believe when you exercise it should always be about your health and well-being—NOT about losing weight. If you exercise only to lose weight you will easily talk yourself out of exercising on a routine basis. Set aside 15 minutes every day at first and then increase it to anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes a day. Have a goal in mind as to what you want to accomplish. More stamina to keep up with the kids or grandkids? Get rid of the triceps flab? Show off some biceps? Or do a walk/run 5k for your favorite charity.

There is NO One Cure ALL

When it comes to depression there is not one cure all method or drug or reason or symptom. So I hope my point is made that you must be vigilant in your daily diet and exercise and be aware of your moods based on what you put into your body and if your moods are not consistent with your expectations—seek help!

If you are not sure if what you are feeling is depression there are various websites that provide valuable information and ask you questions to help you decide if you need more help. 

My go to website is www.webmd.com do not hesitate to check out your symptoms.


Sherri Sue Fisher, author of TimerDiet and TimerOrganizer
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments. I can't wait to read them! Sherri Sue Fisher